Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to Houston

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either close by or across the country requires a lot of coordination and organization, and a lot of folks don't gather the correct files ahead of time. Below is a brief reference guide regarding the various significant documents that you'll want whether moving local or setting up a long-distance move to Houston.

Let's face it, it isn't like you have to have a passport and a work visa to move across the state line, although once you have assembled all of your life records together to go over the border those are about the only things you do not need. And the way our minds work, you would be ready to need all this paperwork for a cross-country move, but in the event that your move is geographically nearby--from Memphis just over the river to a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, for instance, it may come as a jolt that you'll require all of the files.

Below are papers you'll almost certainly need to keep nearby when moving, and the way to acquire them should they have expired or you could have lost them.

Driver's License

Even though driver's licenses will not be suitable for federal identification much longer, you will still must have a active one--you ought to have it anyway, but if it expired a few weeks or months ago and you figured since you are moving why take the time, go make the effort. If you wish to check in at the airport, reserve a vehicle, open a bank account, or execute life generally speaking, you must have a current license to accomplish this. Should you be in a state in which you can't obtain a driver's license from the area Tag Agency same day, ask for a paper copy of your new license to utilize ahead of the printed version showing up in the mail; this can be satisfactory identification for a couple of weeks.


In case you are moving for a new job, the probability is pretty good that you will have to prove US citizenship prior to getting started. You'll be able to renew it by mail should you satisfy specified guidelines--your name hasn't changed, your last one was issued no more than fifteen years previously, that you were a minimum of sixteen at that time, among others--but otherwise, you should make application for a new one in person. It is possible to apply for an expedited passport if needed however be prepared to pay an additional $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You will want a copy for everybody within your family for your move to Houston. If you cannot place your hands on the originals and you live in the area or parish where they were supplied, a simple stop by at the county offices will take care of it. If perhaps you were born in a different place, obtain the duplicate through that location. Every location is unique, so take a crack at an online investigation with regard to the county records where you were born to get the exact instructions to acquire a certified duplicate of your birth certificate. There is usually a nominal charge involved.

Marriage License

If you need a duplicate, follow the exact same process you would with the birth certificate. A household Bible or certificate from your place of worship is not a sufficient legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Everyone in your household will need to have a social security number as well as a card; if you can't place your hands on the cards you will need to obtain replacements as soon as possible. You can begin the process online, and send in the supporting papers, or alternatively you can proceed to the local Social Security Administration office with your papers. Copies--even notarized ones--are not adequate. You need to have picture identification and proof of citizenship, consequently bring an up-to-date driver's license and / or passport, school, employee, or armed service identification card, or a medical insurance card.

Automobile Registration

You're going to have to register your vehicles in your new town and state, so take the latest registration cards as well as evidence of insurance to the local DMV as quickly as possible right after your move to Houston. Within a new state you'll get a different license plate and tag; if your move was intrastate your license plate and tag are good, but your insurance premiums may change.

Health and Shot Documents

Should you have young ones, their new schools will require proof of immunization prior to enrollment. Possessing copies of the many household medical records will help when you've got initial appointments with new health professionals.

Get all of your documents together as swiftly as you can ahead of your move to Houston and keep them together. Given that you may need original copies of the majority of things, just place all the things inside a file folder and keep it along with you or in a secure location over the actual move--this is something you don't want to lose.

Should you be ready to move to Houston, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group assist. Get in touch with us right now to schedule your cost-free in-home estimate.


Request a free quote