Houston Moving Blog - Tips, Tricks, and Insider Info
January 14, 2019

Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to Houston

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either locally or a fair distance takes a great deal of planning as well as organization, and many folks don't gather the appropriate records in advance. Here is a brief reference guide on the various valuable papers that you'll need no matter whether moving local or planning for a long-distance move to Houston.

Truth be told, it's not as if you have to have a passport and a work visa to relocate over the state line, but when you've gathered all of your life records together to go over the border those are about the only items you won't need. And the way our minds operate, you might anticipate to need this paperwork for a cross-country move, but in the event that your move is geographically nearby--from Memphis merely beyond the river to a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, as an illustration, it can come as a jolt that you'll require all of the docs.

Here are documents you will almost certainly want to keep handy while moving, and approaches to acquire them if they have expired or perhaps you've misplaced the originals.

Driver's License

Despite the fact that driver's licenses will not be good for federal identity for much longer, you still must have a active one--you should have it at any rate, however if it expired a few weeks or a long time before and you thought since you're moving why make an effort, go make the effort. When you have to check in at the airport, reserve an automobile, open up a bank account, or conduct life on the whole, you should have a current driver's license to accomplish this. If you are in a state in which you cannot get your license through the local Tag Agency same day, inquire about a paper copy of the new driver's license to use ahead of the printed version arriving in the mail; that is suitable ID for a period of about three weeks.


If you are moving for a new job, chances are decent that you'll need to document US citizenship before you get started. It is possible to renew it by mail if you meet particular requirements--your name has not changed, your previous one has been issued no more than fifteen years in the past, that you were at least sixteen at the time, along with others--but if not, you will need to make application for a new one in person. It is possible to apply for an expedited passport if required but expect you'll pay an additional $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You'll need a copy for everybody within your household for your move to Houston. If you can't place your hands upon them and you are now living in the area or parish where they happened to be distributed, an easy visit to the county offices will handle it. If perhaps you were born somewhere else, obtain the reproduction from that location. Every location differs, so try an online search pertaining to the county records where you were born to find the precise directions to obtain a certified duplicate of your birth record. There is generally a moderate cost involved.

Marriage License

Should you need a reproduction, follow the exact same procedure you would with the birth certificate. A household Bible or certificate from your church is not an acceptable legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Everyone in your household needs a social security number as well as a card; if you can't put your hands on the cards you will need to obtain replacements without delay. You can start the task online, and send in the supporting files, or alternatively you can visit the nearest Social Security Administration office with your documents. Copies--even notarized ones--are not acceptable. You need to have picture identification as well as proof of citizenship, so take a current driver's license or passport, school, employee, or military identification card, or a health insurance card.

Automobile Registration

You're going to have to register your motor vehicles in your new community and state, consequently bring your current registration cards and evidence of insurance coverage to the nearby motor vehicles office as soon as possible following your move to Houston. In a new state you will get a whole new license plate and tag; in case your move was within the same state your current license plate and tag are good, however your insurance premiums may change.

Health and Shot Files

If you've got young ones, their new schools will have to have verification of immunization ahead of enrollment. Having copies of the many household healthcare documents will help when you have initial consultations with new doctors.

Assemble all your files together as quickly as you can in front of your move to Houston and keep them together. Considering that you need to have original copies of the majority of things, simply put all the things inside a file folder and keep it in hand or in a safe location over the actual move--this is something you don't want to misplace.

Should you be wanting to move to Houston, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group help. Contact us today to schedule your cost-free in-home estimate.


Request a free quote

The Mickelson Family
The Mickelson Family
Best. Move. Ever!
Very pleased with the overall respect and care the men gave to my possessions. Even mailing me very quickly the only thing lost in transit. Would recommend to anyone needing a long distant move.
Read more

Almost there...

Tell us a little more about yourself!
(Contact information is required to submit form.)