Don’t let the “D” word scare you! Yes, we are referring to Downsizing. When you are rationalizing moving in Houston, thoughts oftentimes come up about how many of your property you absolutely need. Inevitably, you will begin considering some stuff you need to get rid of. You may wonder how to do it. You might deliberate who will want the items you want to rid yourself of. You might wonder if you will have qualms about getting rid of some of your things.
How to decide what to discard:
There are many considerations that you can go through when determining what to discard. You should try to remember when you last needed the item. If it has not been used in ten years, it is most likely not something that you need to keep. Consider if the item is still useful to you. If it is a piece of clothing like a coat, try it on. If it does not fit, toss it into the discard pile.
One crucial thing to avoid is delaying decisions. Oftentimes, this will lead to you keeping more things than you should have. Go with your first thought and decide quickly if you need to keep the item. Whenever there are memories tied to items it can be difficult to give them away, but the memories will remain even after the item has been rehomed.
How to deal with your discard pile in Houston:
- Garage Sale: This might take some work but should also get you more back than you would with other methods. The steps to having a successful garage sale is straightforward. To start with, review any city ordinances in Houston and homeowner association rules to make sure that you submit to them. Next, price your items a fair price, especially if you will just give them away for free otherwise. Next, publicize your sale. You need to have signs located on key roads that will guide potential customers to the sale. It may be fruitful to submit advertisements online to guide more customers to your sale. Finally, relax and enjoy making a little money while visiting with your neighbors. Click the Garage Sale Sign below for a more specific step-by-step guide to planning your garage sale in Houston.
- Donate Items: When you just want to get rid of your gently used items, donating your items to a charity in Houston is a super way to do that. You will assist a worthwhile cause. You will also help the next person who gets to use your item. It is a great, simple way to get rid of your stuff and keep it out of a landfill. Some organizations will even come and pick your donation up from your abode.
- Think about family and friends: If you know anyone in your family who is just starting out, asking if they need any items would be a wonderful thing to do Otherwise, just spread the word that you are downsizing and you will be surprised that people will come to you asking for items. It will give you pleasure to give someone something that they can use.
- Consider a storage solution in Houston: There will be some things that you will not want to get rid of. If there is no room for them in your next location, consider renting a storage facility. This will allow you extra room for those items that you need for everyday living. If a storage unit is not in the numbers, ponder if any family or friends would be able to stow items in their basement, garage or barn for you.
- Re-organize: Some items in your residence could be grouped more adequately. For instance, if you have many DVDs, you could take them out of their cases and place them into a DVD folder. This will keep the amount of space you are using down, while allowing you to keep more.
Downsizing your home to prepare for a move will take work. Think of all the time that it took to accumulate everything you own. Nevertheless, once you have downsized successfully you will be overjoyed that you did it. You will be able to target your organization efforts on the items you truly cherish and have uses for.